Cruise Lines Cater To Solo Travelers
Solo travelers like cruise vacations for a number of reasons. The shared experience of it all, from embarkation to unpacking once back home, provides opportunities to meet other like-minded travelers, if they so choose. Want to get lost in a good book and talk to no one for a week? On a cruise vacation, you can do that too. But when it comes to accommodations, solo travelers rarely catch a break in a system setup for double-occupancy. Still, from time to time we run across stories of a cruise line going out of their way, catering to solo travelers. Such is the case with Cunard Line and the result of a recent ship remodeling.
Already in the small group of cruise lines that offer something special for solo travelers, Cunard Line has Gentleman Dance Hosts for ladies traveling alone. As opposed to the industry standard 200% single supplement, Cunard has a reduced supplement for certain cabin categories too. Now, Cunard Line’s mid-size 2,068-passenger Queen Elizabeth has emerged from dry dock remodeling with new single staterooms, custom designed for the solo traveler.
Catering To Solo Travelers
Eight outside and one inside staterooms were added during the remodeling, measuring between 159 and 162 square feet. The cabins have a nice central location close to social areas that include the Empire Casino, the Royal Court Theatre and the Queens Room. Small double beds are a generous 47″ wide and the Oceanview staterooms have a wide window with a good view.
In this four-minute video we see the story of the recent multi-million dollar refit that took place aboard Cunard Line’s Queen Elizabeth.
More For Solo Travelers
Cunard Line is not alone in this effort though.
- Norwegian Cruise Line has solo studios on newer ships;
- Holland America Line has a room-matching service to pair solo travelers and a rich onboard program with solo travelers in mind;
- Crystal Cruises gives solo travelers deep discounts,
- SilverSea Cruises offer occasional discounts and a small-ship experience that makes meeting others easy
- Seabourn follows a tradition of having the ship’s officers and entertainers host tables for dining, bringing together solo travelers;
- Costa Cruises has solo traveler cabins on all their ships.
Coming Up Shortly
When Royal Caribbean International‘s Quantum-class ships debut, they will have two categories of staterooms designed with the solo traveler in mind. Inside studio cabins will feature virtual balconies and what ‘super studios’ will have real balconies.