Sailing Ships [Photo Gallery]
Star Clippers has announced new ports for their ships with sails, new destinations and new itineraries for the 2014 and 2015 sailing seasons. On board the line’s three sailing ships, Star Clipper, Star Flyer and Royal Clipper, passengers can choose from a variety of new destinations and itineraries as well as some classic favorites.
Unique itineraries include sailings that call at Cuba, Monte Carlo, Palma de Mallorca and other interesting ports, some for the first time. In addition to new ports of call and itineraries, there is more variation in length with sailings running from 3- to 21-nights.
Maiden Cuba season for Star Flyer
- Starts in February 2014 with a 14-night repositioning voyage from Balboa, Panama, to Cuba including a Panama Canal transit, two calls in Colombia and a visit to the Cayman Islands.
- A series of seven-night itineraries out of Cuba’s Cienfuegos, calling at Cuban beaches and anchorages, as well as the Cayman Islands.
- In November 2014, the ship will return to Cuba sailing from five to seven nights with an option to extend each cruise in Havana.
New mini-cruises in the Mediterranean on Royal Clipper and Star Clipper in 2014
- 3-night sailing out of Venice calls at Rovinj in Croatia and Piran in Slovenia on Royal Clipper
- 4-night sailing from Rome calls at ports in Corsica and Sardinia on Royal Clipper
- 5-night sailing from Malaga that visits the Balearic Islands on Royal Clipper
- 5-night voyage from Athens to Valletta, via ports in Greece and Sicily on Star Clipper
See the Monaco Grand Prix from Star Flyer
- Star Flyer will sail a one-off Monaco Grand Prix cruise as part of a series of voyages from Monaco and Cannes.
- The ship will spend the day of the Grand Prix in the harbor at glamorous Monte Carlo, near the heart of the action, before sailing to Corsica and ports along the French Riviera.
- Many of the Monaco and Cannes departures visit the Scandola Nature Reserve on Corsica, cruising an area known for its dramatic rock formations and bird life.
New cruises from Palma de Mallorca
Star Flyer will operate a series of seven-night voyages fromPalma de Mallorca, cruising the Balearic islands and calling at anchorages only accessible to small ships, including the islands of Formentera and lively Puerto Pollença on Mallorca.
New Caribbean itinerary for Royal Clipper
- Not forgetting what they do best, Royal Clipper will spend winter 2014/15 operating her usual enticing Windward Isles and Grenadines itineraries out of Barbados.
- Adding a new dimension to the standard fare a unique 14-night itinerary circles the entire southern Caribbean, departing from Barbados, the new itinerary calls at four ports in Venezuela plus Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao as well as St Lucia.
Eastern and Western Mediterranean and Caribbean
- Star Clipper’s series of sailings from Athens returns to visit various Greek islands and Turkish ports.
- Royal Clipper will sail longer, 11 and 12-night Western Mediterranean itineraries between Venice and Rome.
- Winter 2014/15 sees all three ships sailing the Caribbean, with a choice of departures from Barbados, St Maarten or yet-to-be-announced ports in Costa Rica and Cuba.
We will be on board Star Clipper in November, our first time on a ship with sails since Chris was just a lad sailing on his father’s sailboat on a lake in Kansas. This promises to be a uniquely different experience.
Photos 1-6 (from ten years ago when we saw this ship in Barbados) – Chris Owen
All Other Photos- Star Clippers