Seabourn: A Happy Day In Cambodia
Stopping in Sihanoukville, Cambodia for the day continued our Seabourn 14-night Taste Of Asia itinerary, on the way to Thailand. An interesting stop on the Seabourn Food And Wine Cruise, we were greeted by a warm and friendly pack of Tuk Tuk drivers, eager to have our business for the day. On a private tour of the deep water southwestern Cambodian port known for its beaches and tropical islands, we explored the peninsula which extends into the Gulf of Thailand. An easy walk-off port with complimentary shuttle service to town provided, Sihanoukville began and ended with a local destination focus that had its share of surprises.
Lined up on the dock to greet Seabourn Sojourn, local tour guides waited as the ship cleared customs. No physical visa required, the ship had charged us for the electronic version which was tied to our passports, making visiting the white sand beaches there easy.
Like other places we had visited on this itinerary, streets were crowded and dominated by motorcycles. Still, a tuk tuk tour to all the hotspots ($20) provided a quick and efficient way to see the place and capture the images I needed for this story.
Stopping at a variety of monuments and attractions, it was interesting to see the parallels that run through daily life here, echoed at other stops we had made along the way. Different here, name brand prescription medications require no doctor’s order. Good news for someone looking to stock up/save on their favorite prescription. Not so good news communicating the name of the product if it is generic. Allegra-D, for example, not on the radar here.
Interesting little tidbit of information about Cambodia: Pretty much any restaurant or bar with the word “Happy” attached to it means there is a special seasoning used on or in menu items. After more than a week of fine cuisine on board the Seabourn Food And Wine Cruise, I was ready for a burger and found the Happy Burger establishment to be a good choice. Surprisingly, that was one of the best burgers I ever enjoyed, anywhere. So good was that burger that I ordered a second. They really weren’t all that big and boy did they taste good.
It wasn’t until I was considering a third and perused the notion that I had never thought of eating three burgers at the same place in my lifetime when I realized what the secret seasoning was.
Back at Seabourn Sojourn, the evening kicked off with a performance from the Fine Art School of Phnom Penh. The folkloric troupe of more than 20 members presented local dances from the region.
Follow Along With Us
- Facebook will feature each day’s post here as well as a variety of photo galleries created as we sail. Encouraged: Your questions and comments.
- Instagram lovers will see one post a day that summarizes much of what we saw and did in the last 24 hours.
- Pinterest boards for each port of call are already set up, ready to be filled with photos as time permits, subject to bandwidth limitations we may encounter along the way. Also to be created and published perhaps with a bit higher priority, food and wine photos.
- Twitter has been populated with prescheduled tweets throughout the day that will be updated with events and happenings around the ship and ashore as the occur. Follow @OrlandoChris, @SeabournCruise and the tag #SeabournFoodAndWineCruise.
- Tumblr will be all about food and wine with multiple posts throughout each day.
- Google+ posts will recap the day at its end
- Exposure Photo Storybooks will no doubt come after sailing and be more reflective of the entire experience, as usual. Different this time, multiple storybooks focusing on culinary events as well as destinations visited along the way.
- Chris Cruises In Progress– takes readers directly to a list of all Seabourn Food And Wine Cruise posts.
- 2016 Seabourn Food And Wine Cruise Journal- will be stuck to the top of the list here at ChrisCruises.com while the event is in progress, all the daily posts, in order, travel journal style
- Your Questions Answered. Have questions as we sail? Email Chris@ChrisCruises.com for answers anytime